Reuters reported today,
Russia was behind a false report of a rape by German soldiers in Lithuania that was intended to undermine support for NATO’s new eastern force, a senior NATO general said on Saturday, warning Europe to expect more such “fake news”.
Petr Pavel, who heads NATO’s military committee, said he also hoped to hold the first telephone call in more than two years with Russia’s military chiefs in coming weeks. There he will outline why NATO believes its biggest military build-up since the end of the Cold War is not a threat to the Kremlin.
Pavel, a Czech army general, said a claim that German-speaking men raped a 15-year-old girl last week in a Lithuanian town close to a German army barracks “was not based on real events”. An email making the claim was sent to the speaker of Lithuanian’s parliament on Tuesday.
“It is clearly fake news and I believe we should expect more of this,” Pavel, told Reuters in an interview, citing conversations with the German and Lithuanian defense ministers.